Friday, December 30, 2005

True Love

Dick Mayhue in his commentary on 1 Thessalonians (FOCUS Publications) list these qualities characterize authentic, biblical love according to the Apostle Paul as outlined in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7. He then promises, ‘Love never fails’ (13:8). Test yourself and see how you measure up to truly loving others.
  1. ‘Love suffers long.’ Therefore, I will bear with a person’s worst behavior, without retaliation, regardless of the circumstances.
  2. ‘Love is kind.’ Therefore, I will diligently seek ways to be actively useful in another person’s life.
  3. ‘Love does not envy.’ Therefore, I will delight in the esteem and honor given to someone else.
  4. ‘Love does not parade itself.’ Therefore, I will not draw attention to myself exclusive of others.
  5. ‘Love is not puffed up.’ Therefore, I know I am no more important than others.
  6. ‘Love does not behave rudely.’ Therefore, I will not engage any person in ungodly activity.
  7. ‘Love does not seek its own.’ Therefore, I will be others oriented.
  8. ‘Love is not provoked.’ Therefore, I will not resort to anger as a solution to difficulties between myself and others.
  9. ‘Love thinks no evil.’ Therefore, I will never keep an account due on others.
  10. ‘Love does not rejoice in iniquity.’ Therefore, I will never delight in another’s unrighteous behavior, nor will I join its expression.
  11. ‘Love rejoices in the truth.’ therefore, I will find great joy when truth prevails in another’s life.
  12. ‘Love bears all things.’ Therefore, I will be publicly silent about another’s faults.
  13. ‘Love believes all things.’ Therefore, I will express unshakable confidence and trust in others.
  14. ‘Love hopes all things.’ Therefore, I will confidently expect future victory in another’s life, regardless of the present imperfections.
  15. ‘Love endures all things.’ Therefore, I will outlast every assault of Satan to break up relationships.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home