Monday, January 09, 2006

Christ and Cancer

John Piper preached a message called "Christ and Cancer" 25 years ago. I wish I would have realized this message by John Piper was available a long time ago. I have watched many people die with cancer including some of my own immediate family and close relation. If you know someone with cancer or some other life threatening suffering, this sermon is worth your read. Piper, who has just been diagnosed with cancer in the last month began this message preached 25 years ago saying,

"I regard this message today as a crucial pastoral message, because you need to know where your pastor stands on the issues of sickness, healing, and death. If you thought it was my conception that every sickness is a divine judgment on some particular sin, or that the failure to be healed after a few days of prayer was a clear sign of inauthentic faith, or that Satan is really the ruler in this world and God can only stand helplessly by while His enemy wreak havoc with His children—if you thought any of those were my notions, you would relate to me very differently in sickness than you would if you knew what I really think. Therefore, I want to tell you what I really think and try to show you from Scripture that these thoughts are not just mine but also, I trust, God's thoughts. "

Read the rest here.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home