Monday, January 22, 2007

After the Amen!

At our Sunday services yesterday, there were various elements to our worship. I often pause to wonder why in God's providence He leads us to select certain songs, Scripture readings, and other parts for the worship service.

I am convinced though that God has chose those songs and Scripture for He knows someone needs that truth then or will need it in the week to come. I am also amazed how by God's providence not even with our forethought he brings one part of the service together with another part.

For example, yesterday I spent sometime exhorting us as a congregation from Ephesians 4 regarding our interpersonal relationships with the rest of the body. I asked each member to rate themselves in regard to humility, gentleness, patience, building up the body, and speaking the truth in love. Some of that meshed so well with our Scripture reading from Philippians 2 which speaks of Christ's humility and gentleness and Timothy and Epaphroditus' example of building up the body of Christ.

Also my brother and fellow pastor inserted a song Jesus, Your Name that speaks in part about the comfort of that name that is above all names. As that immediately preceded the message, I sensed a prompting to share a song that I have just heard, God Reigns in the Storm. It is just amazing to see God's sweet providences in the "order of service." Here are the words to this new song by Steve and Vikki Cook. You can hear a sample of it and download the music here.
There's a tempest that can flood the soul
When troubles pound like crashing waves.
In these afflictions I have realized
There's a place that I can hide.
I know that God has promised me His strength,
And His Word can never fall.
He is faithful, O so faithful.

There's a midnight that can fill the soul
When the darkness knows no end.
And though it feels like I am all alone
There's a truth that gives me hope.
I know the One whose counted all my tears,
And He is nearer than my breath
He is with me, always with me.

There are Sovereign hands holding all my days
Yes I know God reigns in the storm
Every trial and pain wisdom has ordained
Yes I know God reigns in the storm.

There's so many things that I don't understand,
but I know His every plan for me is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home