Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Preparing our children for Sunday

This past Sunday (3/26), I preached on the theme of listening to preaching (link will be up here soon for transcript; click here to listen. My son who usually puts up my messages is sick today). A few weeks ago I read Michael Fabarez's Preaching to Change Lives and the first life it changed was mine. I encouraged my congregation how to prepare before they come to hear God's Word, what to do during the actual preaching hour and then how to follow through and apply what they have heard.

I alluded how important it was to not only prepare our own lives for Sunday, but if we are parents to do the same. Providentially, CJ Mahaney posted a personal story about how he prepares his 13-year-old son for every Sunday. I especially liked how he went over some basics ways that his son could celebrate the Lord's Day as "the best day of the week" in "the dearest place on earth" (the church). He begins the article this way:

"Actually, as I understand it, parenting is all about preparation. I need to prepare Chad to fulfill his call as a man to serve and lead, and ultimately I must prepare him for the fast-approaching day of judgment. My approach to preparing Chad for the Sunday meeting has been informed by the doctrine of the church as clearly taught in Scripture and the Savior’s love for the church as compelling demonstrated on the cross. I want to inform my son theologically about the church and demonstrate for him a passion for the church."

Parents, the five minutes it will take you to read the article is well-worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home